Winter and Winter Plus
Our Base Winter program for competitive players offers twice weekly practices January & February
Our new Winter Plus program forms teams for additional practices and tournament opportunities between mid October to mid March
For both the Base program & Winter Plus program, our Winter 2018-19 season is designed for the following age groups:
- Boys born in 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005, 2004, 2003, 2002
- Girls born in 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006, 2005, 2004, 2003, 2002
Winter 2018-19 Program Overview
Base program runs 8 weeks in January and February, with training sessions twice per week.
Winter Plus runs between mid October to mid March, providing additional training & tournament opportunities. Teams will be formed to group by development level. Tournaments, practice schedule, fees will vary by team.
- Sunday afternoons are technical/ skill training at Davies High School Gym
- Thursday evenings are scrimmage games at the Metro Rec Center
- Teams will be formed by development level
- Practice frequency & dates will be agreed by parents on team
- Tournament schedule will be 'pay as you play', and agreed by parents of team
Dates & Times
First Sunday session is January 6th, final session is February 24th
First Thursday session is January 10th, final session is February 28th
- 12 – 1pm Boys & Girls 2010, 2009, 2008
- 1 – 2pm Boys & Girls 2007 & 2006
- 2 – 3pm Boys & Girls 2005, 2004, 2003 & 2002
- 6 – 7pm Boys & Girls 2010, 2009, 2008
- 7 – 8pm Boys & Girls 2007 & 2006
- 8 – 9pm Boys & Girls 2005, 2004, 2003 & 2002
Dates & times will vary by team
Base program: playing time is equal for all players.
Winter Plus tournament games:
U9 & U10: all players should get roughly equal playing time, and should start some games on the field and some on the bench
U11 & U12: playing time may not be equal, but players will play no less than 50% of each game
U13 & older age groups: playing time may not be equal, but players will play no less than 25% of each game
Base program: doesn't have set teams. Practice sessions are structured based on gender & age group.
Winter Plus: teams are formed to group players by age, gender & development level
Base program: is training only
Winter Plus: Tournaments will all be 'pay-as-you-play'. Tournaments will vary by team, as chose by parents. Some tournament possibilities include:
Dec 1 -2 DASC Winter Games (Boys only), Sioux Falls, SD
Dec 8-9 Aberdeen FC Futsal, Aberdeen, SD
Dec 8-9 Watertown Futsal Flurry, Watertown, SD
Jan ? - ? Tri City Winter Snowdown, Fargo, ND
Feb ? - ? Frosty’s Cup, Bismarck, ND
Feb ? - ? Golden Boy Tournament, Winnipeg
Feb 9 - 10 DASC Winter Games (Girls only), Sioux Falls, SD
Mar ? - ? NDSA State Indoor Cup, Minot, ND
‘Pay-as-you-play’ is $10 per session (no cash taken, invoiced by club retrospectively)
Registration up front for all 16 sessions is $120, a savings of 25% (no refund given for missed sessions)
Players who did not play Fall 2018 (Travel Academy or Competitive) have $35 registration fee before being eligible to play.
Training fee will vary by team depending on frequency & location of practices.
Tournaments are on a ‘pay-as-you-play’ basis. The cost per player is calculated by (Tournament fee + coach travel + coach hotel) / (number of players). For travel indoor tournaments this is typically is in the region of $85 per player.
- Existing players: players who played Travel Academy/ Competitive in Fall 2018 – no registration is required
- New/ returning players: players who did not play Fall 2018 need to register for tryouts to be eligible to play Winter soccer. There is a $35 registration fee which covers the cost of player card. The fee will be refunded if player does not pass tryouts
Most players will play on a ‘Pay-as-you-play’ – No action is required - your child just shows up to whichever sessions they can attend. If you wish to pay upfront - $120 for all 16 sessions (a 25% discount) - email us and we will send an invoice.
- Existing players: players who played Travel Academy/ Competitive in Fall 2018 – no formal registration is required, but you must email us at email@example.com to let us know your intention to play
- New/ returning players: players who did not play Fall 2018 need to register for tryouts to be eligible to play Winter Plus. There is a $35 registration fee which covers the cost of player card. The fee will be refunded if player does not pass tryouts
Winter Program Philosophy
- Player enjoyment and development are our top priorities
- We will focus on personal development in addition to soccer development. This involves development of character, sportsmanship, leadership and more.
- Player development is more important than team results
- We will not evaluate ourselves on wins or losses. We will evaluate ourselves on player and team development. To do this, we must realize the importance that failure plays in the equation of player and team development. Our goal is to create environments focused on long term growth versus immediate results.
- We will aim to find competitive environments appropriate for players & teams, for example:
- Entering teams in ‘high’/‘lower’ brackets (as appropriate)
- Using NDSA and in-club games for developmental benefit
- Placing more emphasis on competitiveness at tournaments
- Seeking higher/less competitive tournaments (as appropriate)
- We will strive to challenge, motivate, and provide very competitive environments for our most driven players. Examples include:
- Potential play in Regional tournaments
- Potential play in Minnesota State Championships
- Potential play in Twin Cities Soccer League
- Active involvement in USYS Dakota OPD
- Active involvement in ND11 Sate team program
- We will strive to challenge, motivate, and provide competitive training environments for our most driven players
- We will provide players with instruction on how to improve & develop outside of practices. Development is in proportion to effort and touches on a ball – players need to practice outside of/in addition to club practices
- United SC encourages all of its coaches to a teach possession based soccer. To do this effectively, coaches teach their players to be comfortable on the ball technically while also introducing age appropriate tactical sessions
Scheels Soccer Complex:
1010 13th Ave W,
West Fargo, ND 58078
PO Box 38,
West Fargo, ND 58078