canada flag

Red River Valley United is always on the lookout for good soccer experiences for our players. Winnipeg is home to some great soccer clubs, with competitive teams, nice facilities, and a refreshing approach to youth soccer development.

Below is information on border requirements for players / families heading to Canada for games.

Additional Information

Re-entering USA from Canada

What types of documents are accepted for entry into the United States via land and sea?

  • U.S. citizens can present a valid: U.S. Passport; Passport Card; Enhanced Driver’s License; Trusted Traveler Program card (NEXUS, SENTRI or FAST); U.S. Military identification card when traveling on official orders; U.S. Merchant Mariner document when traveling in conjunction with official maritime business; or Form I-872 American Indian Card, or (when available) Enhanced Tribal Card.
  • U.S. and Canadian citizen children under the age of 16 (or under 19, if traveling with a school, religious group, or other youth group) need only present a birth certificate or other proof of citizenship. The birth certificate can be original, photocopy, or certified copy.

Entry into Canada

Entry into Canada: Canadian law requires that all persons entering Canada carry both proof of citizenship and proof of identity. A valid U.S. passport, passport card, or NEXUS card satisfies these requirements for U.S. citizens.

Children under 16 need only present proof of U.S. citizenship.

Travel with Minors: If you plan to travel to Canada with a minor who is not your own child or for whom you do not have full legal custody, CBSA may require you to present a notarized affidavit of consent from the minor’s parents. Please refer to the CBSA website for more details.

Minor children entering Canada as a visitor

The documents a minor child needs to enter Canada depend on whether the child is travelling alone or with someone.

If a minor child is travelling alone

The child should present:

  • his own passport
    • a parent’s passport, even if the child’s details are included in it, cannot be used
  • a copy of his birth certificate, and
  • a letter of authorization, in English or French if possible, and signed by both parents or by their legal guardian which lists:
    • the parents’ (or legal guardian’s) address and telephone number, and
    • the name, address and telephone number of the adult who will look after the child in Canada.

If a minor child is travelling with one parent only

The parent should present:

  • the child’s passport
  • a copy of the child’s birth certificate, and
  • a letter of authorization, in English or French if possible, which is signed by the parent who is not travelling with them and lists:
    • the address and telephone number of the parent who is not travelling, and
    • a photocopy of that parent’s signed passport or national identity card.

If the parents are separated or divorced, and share custody of the child:

  • the parent travelling with the child should carry copies of the legal custody documents.
  • It is also best to have a letter of authorization from the other parent who has custody to take the child on a trip out of the country.

If the parents are separated or divorced and one of them has sole custody of the child:

  • the letter of authorization may be signed by that parent only and they should bring a copy of the custody decree.

If one of the child’s parents is deceased:

  • the travelling parent should bring a copy of the death certificate.

If a minor child is travelling with a legal guardian or adoptive parents

The child should have a copy of the guardianship papers or the adoption papers (whichever one applies).

If a minor child is travelling with a person other than their parents or legal guardian

The adult who is not the parent or legal guardian of the child should have written permission from the parents or guardians to supervise the child. The permission letter should include addresses and telephone numbers where the parents or legal guardian can be reached.

The letter does not need to be certified. A photocopy of the parents’ or legal guardian’s signed passports or national identity cards should be attached to the letter.

Note: The border services officer may not ask to see these documents when the child enters Canada. However, it is strongly recommended you bring them, in case that you are. The minor child will not be admitted to Canada if the officer is not convinced that the parents or legal guardian have authorized his stay.